broadcom wireless works, WEP doesn't

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 20 15:32:19 UTC 2007

  probably against my better judgment, now that i have broadcom
wireless working reliably on my laptop, i wanted to verify that i
could at least add WEP encryption to the mix.

  no such luck.  after confirming that a non-encrypted setup works
just fine, i simply added a WEP key to the linksys router, then ran
system-config-network to set the identical WEP key there.  after that,
any attempt to bring up the wlan0 interface on the F8-t1 system
resulted in a bunch of DHCPDISCOVER packets going out, finally
followed by "No DHCPOFFERS received".

  running "iwlist wlan0 scan" does indeed see the AP, which verifies
the channel, and the fact that encryption is on.  is there something
i'm missing besides just setting WEP in both places and re-activating
the interface?  i would have thought this would be a fairly trivial
thing to do, but nothing's worked so far.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca