broadcom wireless works, WEP doesn't

Dino Leonardo Sangoi dino at trieste.linux.it
Mon Aug 20 21:28:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

>   probably against my better judgment, now that i have broadcom
> wireless working reliably on my laptop, i wanted to verify that i
> could at least add WEP encryption to the mix.
>
>   no such luck.  after confirming that a non-encrypted setup works
> just fine, i simply added a WEP key to the linksys router, then ran
> system-config-network to set the identical WEP key there.  after that,
> any attempt to bring up the wlan0 interface on the F8-t1 system
> resulted in a bunch of DHCPDISCOVER packets going out, finally
> followed by "No DHCPOFFERS received".
>
>   running "iwlist wlan0 scan" does indeed see the AP, which verifies
> the channel, and the fact that encryption is on.  is there something
> i'm missing besides just setting WEP in both places and re-activating
> the interface?  i would have thought this would be a fairly trivial
> thing to do, but nothing's worked so far.

Hi,

I also have a linksys: mine is a WAG354G. I'm also using WEP, almost
from the days of kernel 2.6.18. These days the bcm driver was so bad
that WPA was not usable, and I haven't tried recently. WEP instead
worked almost always for me.

Anyway, on my router configuration I have:

Basic Wireless Setup:
	Wireless Network Mode:		Mixed
	Wireless Network Name(SSID):	CASA
	Wireless Channel:		3 - 2.422 GHz
	Wireless SSID Broadcast: 	Enabled

Wireless Security:
	Security Mode:			WEP
	Default Transmit Key:		1
	WEP Encryption:			128 bits (26 hex digits)

	Key 1:				[26 hex digits, without
					 '0x' prefix]

Then, on the PC, if I do a:
# ifconfig wlan0 up
# iwconfig wlan0 enc on channel 3 key (x) essid CASA

(x) [same 26 digits as above, without '0x' prefix]

(casa means 'home' in italian, original, don't you think? :-))

# ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.13 up

Some simple hints to troubleshoot it are:
- try configuring the device by hand, with the commands above, and
  playing a bit with iwconfig options.
- try first with a static IP.
- if doesn't work, try:

# ifconfig wlan0 down ;rmmod `lsmod | fgrep bcm`
then redo the configuration. Sometimes reloading the driver does the
trick.

Configuration with system-config-network is very simple: in the
wireless settings tab I have:
Mode: Managed
SSID: Specified: CASA
Key: [same 26 hex digits, WITH 0x prefix!]

For the record, lspci -nn tells me this about my wireless card:

02:02.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 \
 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] \
 (rev 02)

Not a solution, I guess... but I hope this somehow helps!

Dino