sound problems with latest updates in f8test FOUND

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Thu Aug 23 22:09:29 UTC 2007

stan wrote:

>>> I don't find that app.  I find pasuspender, but it wants me to
>>> connect to a server.  I installed everything pulseaudio related
>>> except for the esound compatibility module.  That had a conflict
>>> with esound which is already installed.  Haven't tried removing
>>> pulseaudio yet, I suppose that is next.  Unless you have any other
>>> suggestions?
>>>
>> Well, I removed everything pulseaudio related and the problem was
>> still there.  Yesterday there was an update to both the kernel and
>> all of the alsa packages.  Suspicion moves there.  The last
>> production version of alsa-lib on Fedora 7 had disabled support for
>> all floating point sound formats.  Perhaps a similar regression has
>> happened with the new version.
>>
> The error occurs in function snd_config_search_alias_hooks in file
> conf.c of alsa-lib.  This calls a define which is a function,
> SND_CONFIG_SEARCH_ALIAS.
> I can't trace the actual error because there is nothing to trace, but
> the error number is -2.

The problem is esd is hogging the sound device.  It appears to use OSS
(/dev/dsp, /dev/dsp2, etc.)  This won't play nice with alsa library
requests.  For now I've set the -d option with /dev/dsp2 (I only have
one sound device)  in /etc/esd.conf so that it is disabled.  I'll look
into removing it.  Not sure how it got installed because I don't recall
doing so.  Can't find it under services either.

The folks on alsa-devel resolved this for me.

NAME
       esd - The Enlightened Sound Daemon

DESCRIPTION
       Starts up EsounD, which provides a sound mixing server.

USAGE
       esd [options]

         -d DEVICE     force esd to use sound device DEVICE
         -b            run server in 8 bit sound mode
         -r RATE       run server at sample rate of RATE
         -as SECS      free audio device after SECS of inactivity (-1 to
disable)
         -unix         use unix domain sockets instead of tcp/ip
         -tcp          use tcp/ip sockets instead of unix domain
         -public       make tcp/ip access public (other than localhost)
         -promiscuous  start unlocked and owned (disable authenticaton)
NOT RECOMMENDED
         -terminate    terminate esd daemon after last client exits
         -noterminate  do not terminate esd daemon after last client exits
         -nobeeps      disable startup beeps
         -beeps        enable startup beeps
         -trust        start esd even if use of /tmp/.esd can be insecure
         -port PORT    listen for connections at PORT (only for tcp/ip)
         -bind ADDRESS binds to ADDRESS (only for tcp/ip)

         -v --version  print version information

       Possible devices are:  /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp2, etc.

FILES /etc/esd.conf           daemon configuration file