Firefox performance sucks!

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Aug 24 10:32:53 UTC 2007

Right,

For some time now, the speed with which firefox starts to load pages can
be aweful.  I've not been sure where the problem lay until I got vmware
reworking this afternoon and I'm now sure it's firefox.

Sometimes the speed is fine, but other times it seems to take forever to
start loading.

Firefox in Windows in VMWare loads pages really fast.  In fact, I loaded
www.ebay.com.au in FF/Win and then in FF/Lin.  FF/Win was fine, but
while FF/Lin was still loading I went back and reloaded the page in
FF/Win and it had finished it before FF/Lin had even started loading the
page.

This is subjective, but it's not hard to observe from where I sit.

Given that FF/Win uses the Win network layer and then my Lin network
layer and it's performance is fine, I would expect FF/Lin to perform as
well, but it simply isn't a match.

Is FF/Lin inferior to FF/Win or is there something wrong with it that is
making this happen?

R.
 It's much better on my side"