Upgrade from F7 to Rawhide, broken?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Tue Aug 28 20:25:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

yesterday I yum-updated from F7 to rawhide and that's where the problem
started.

So first issues with the upgrade:

1. I upgraded incrementally, so I had combination of F7 and rawhide
packages for some time. During that time some applications behaved
weirdly - froze when trying to use gtk open/save file dialogs (e.g.
inkscape, epiphany, ...), started really long or not at all (e.g.
gedit). This behaviour was fixed though when I finished the upgrade and
relogged.

2. Yum complained several times during the process of missing files,
etc. Unfortunately I don't remember the complaints and cannot find them
in logs.

3. xfs was not disabled (I had to remove the package in order to disable
it)

And now issues with the system (after today's updates)

1. Some applications seems to crash silently, sometimes even without
apparent reason (evolution, gimp)

2. Some applications start really long, usually returns to normal after
relogging

3. Pulse audio is not enabled, nor installed, when I tried to install it
it stills complains of not running the pa server (and I really don't
know how to turn the server on), but when I run pulseaudio from terminal
I hear some start sound, but that's all. Apps still cannot 'connect to
server'

4. Some applications don't start at all (e.g. hwbrowser)

5. Latest kernel (0.142.rc3.git10) does not boot with LVM (cannot
initialise it), the one before (0.139.rc3.git10) boots OK.

6. Kernel does not drive my broadcomm wireless card. Complains:

        b43-phy0 debug: Adding Interface type 2
        b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load
        failed.
        b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to
        http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/bcm43xx#devicefirmware
        and download the correct firmware (version 4).

I went to the page, downloaded the firmware version 4, extracted it with
bcm43xx-fwcutter to /lib/firmware and still no luck :(

7. The new rhgb theme seems buggy (some bad rendering around the
progress bar, hard to describe, the best description I can think of is
'noise'), I tried it only once so far.

So, I'd like to ask if anyone with clean rawhide install has these
issues. If not, I'll probably consider doing a clean install when Test 2
is out (waiting for test 2 in order to have pulse audio enabled by
default - I'd like to test it).

Thanks,
Martin