I miss usb just working

Mike Martin redtux1 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:35:32 UTC 2007

On 30/08/2007, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> on 8/30/2007 12:52 AM, Christopher Brown wrote:
> > On 30/08/2007, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> >> A while ago, I could plug in a mouse and it would 'Just Work'.  Now, I
> >> can spend all day plugging in a mouse and it might work, but not often
> >> enough to bother unplugging and plugging until it decides to work.
> >>
> >> What gives?
> >

> > Wave a dead chicken over it?
> >
> > Seriously, is this another $PROGRAM_OR_PERIPHERAL sucks! thread? Do you
> > realise that if USB wasn't working for people there would be plenty of noise
> > about it? You need to understand that for the majority USB _is_ working and
> > so if you want any kind of sane answer then some diagnostics would help.
> >
> > Is there a bug about this, or am I the one to file it.  (Bugzilla
> >> searching scares me a little).
> >>

> > Why?
>

> Thanks for the 'smile' Chris. I really liked the "Wave a dead chicken over
> it?"
>

> --

Not sure if its related, but any kernel higher than stock for FC7
seems to have issues with hotplug ie:

DVD's and pen drives dont automount (can manually mount though)

my USB serial dapter is a little flaky

also hibernate causes network devices tostop working on resume (and
cant shutdown from X - have to kill X and shutdown -r now)