Heads-Up! (Recent gLabels Snapshot Update)

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Mon Dec 17 19:55:47 UTC 2007

Hi, all.

I just committed to Rawhide a version bump of gLabels to the recent
development snapshot (2.1.5) in preparation for the 2.2 Final release,
slated for sometime in the very near future, according to upstream. It
should hit tomorrow's push.

The current "stable" release is 2.0.4, which is nearly two years old and
uses a lot of rather outdated stuff (such as libgnomeprint). Along with
many many bugfixes, this new gLabels has been massively overhauled to
properly use recent changes in the GNOME/GTK+ stack, including using
GtkPrint and Pango/Cairo for its printing and layout capabilities, and
using libebook (from Evolution Data Server) to allow address label
printing of stored contacts.

Also, this update contains major revamps and fixes to the public
libglabels API, and bumps the SONAME accordingly (from libglabels.so.1
to libglabels.so.5). According to upstream, nothing aside from gLabels
itself actually uses this public API yet, which repoquery confirms with
regards to Fedora's repository.  Thus, nothing else that I am aware of
should need rebuilding or fixing, etc.

I've been testing this over the past couple of days on my Fedora 8
desktop with various CD/DVD labels and haven't found any significant
issues with it. Opening and modifying files from 2.0.4 works well.
Printing seems to work well, too; though I ran out of ink over the
weekend so most of my testing thus far has been printing to PS/PDF files
and viewing the result. (Urgh...)

However, one person's testing is definitely not enough! =)
Please bang and smash on this and file any bugs you find, so that the
2.2 Final release can be that much more awesome.

My hope is that I can push 2.2 Final to F7+; but since it is such a
major revamping I intend to let it sit in Rawhide for a long time before
updating it in the release branches, as I want to flesh out as many of
the bugs as possible prior to declaring it fit for users' consumption.

Please don't hesitate to reply with any comments, questions, concerns,
etc.

Thanks, and regards.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479