Fedora Unity Re-Spin

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 23 01:14:36 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Joachim Frieben wrote:
>> Given that updates do rarely harm to a release, wouldn't it be simpler to
>> set upsomething like a cron job for creating automatic respins from
>> what is
>> availableat a certain moment without any warranty for it?
>> Ubuntu does release daily images which either work or not. You know it
>> and
>> youdecide to take it or not. Unity spins used to be released quite
>> scarcely,
>> and this
>> was not optimal from a user's point of view.
>> Regular snapshots could even be tagged based on user feedback in order to
>> labelbad ones, but again this should rarely happen anyway. ~jf
>>

> Contrary to what you suggest; updates usually manage to break something
> in a release, when the installer is being rebuilt with those updates.
> We've seen it happen again and again.

Let me see, did you say you've had 40 sign up for testing and only five
provide feedback (that's a pretty good rate of response btw)?

I wouldn't say that what you are doing right now is working really well.

I suggest that
1. You fix the URL in your sig
2. When you make an announcement such as the one we're discussing right
now, you include a para about the project and why I'd want to try it.
3. You rethink your website. I read the front page and couldn't figure
from its content what you do. "bring unity to the Community?" I'd not
noticed anything more than the usual amount of discord here, maybe less.
No memorable flamewars (unless in threads I've ignored) since the
emergence of F8. Is there some disunity I've missed?

Give some examples of problems you've actually addressed. You might be
providing solutions, but if you don't address something that I see as a
real problem, I'm not interested.

In
http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-everything-spin-released
you should explain why one might want it. Seriously, I don't know what's
different about Fedora Everything compared with the standard Fedora.
Assuming I actually do want Fedora Everything, how is your DVD better
than downloading the bits I want at 1.2 Mbytes/sec from my IAP's mirror
where it's not charged against my download quotas.

btw I'm glad to note the use of jigdo, if your announcement lead to my
deciding I gotta have it, presumably I can fill the template with more
local packages.

4. Don't be so precious about getting it right all the time; a fedora
respin that doesn't go through an extensive beta program of its own is
never going to be better than Fedora, and three of the eight continuing
threads in my view of the fedora users' list suggest F8 is broken, two
failures after software updates and one install failure.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait