How is the X upgrade going?

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Sat Dec 1 20:43:12 UTC 2007

I've fallen off the rawhide train in the last few weeks - wanting to
miss the well-publicized X fun, among other things.  I'm setting up a
new machine, though, so I thought I'd put current rawhide on it just to
see what happened.

What happens is that the system appears to boot mostly normally.  At the
end, though, I get an all-blank screen (either black or white, seems to
vary) with an arrow-shaped pointer and nothing else.  The pointer is
responsive to the mouse, so there appears to be a functioning X server
underneath it all.  But I never get the login screen.

This is a Dell box with integrated Intel graphics; it works great with
F8.

Is this something I should still be expecting at this stage, or is this
supposed to work?  If so, what other information can I provide to help
track it down?

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet at lwn.net