rawhide report: 20071212 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 13 12:00:12 UTC 2007

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 06:01:50PM -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> I do not know which mkinitrd created that specific
>> kernel, but the version on my machine is
>> mkinitrd-6.0.20-1.fc9
>
> Then watch what happens the next time.  When you did 'yum update',
> and there was a bunch of updates, then what was used to create
> initrd depends on which packages were updated before %post scripts
> for a kernel package run.
>
> Also I cannot tell you in what circumstances this new mkinitrd
> fails.  I suspect that if that would be always the case then we
> would not see it.  When it will mess up then you will not boot
> and this will be not a kernel fault.
>
>    Michal

I updated to mkinitrd-6.0.20-1.fc9 and nash-6.0.20-1.fc9 before
upgrading to kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9. The results were the kernel
hung at /dev/rtc and /dev/rtc0 already created. Basically it failed as
badly as previous fc9 kernels. So programs before kernel seem to be the
working combination.

--
You've always made the mistake of being yourself.
		-- Eugene Ionesco