Latest updates broke my system (URGENT)

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri Dec 14 01:22:40 UTC 2007

John Summerfield schrieb:
> shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
>> Fedora is ok for day_to_day_work.
> Just have a look at the fedora-list archive, how many problems there
> are that fall in the general categories:
> [.......]  These are taken from subject lines, and suggest to me that
> the problem is more likely to be software-related than user error, and
> that are likely ro require local action (ie physical presence) and
> substantially prevent the system's use.

you count the fedora-list subjects line, i count fedora-bugs,
we both should contact our doctor ;)

> likely I'm wrong about some (both inclusions and exclusions), but then
> I've had some personally that are unreported.
>   For example, the fine new (to pe) graphical update too crashed
> (segfault), so I just use commandline yum.

let us talk about rawhide:  and without yum?
rpm
if you need more luxuriance for downloading packages you can use  lynx,
elinks, *ftp, wget, curl, ...

>   For example, I've seen loadaverage 45+ and climbing. No idea what it
> was doing, I couldn't do anything to find out. It cleared itself by
> next day.

procps, sysstat

>   For example, on FC3 the kernel panicked initialising USB on many
> systems, including my laptop.
>   For example, the current xenified F8 kernel doesn't boot without
> special (unusual) options on my system. Reportedly it happened on F7
> and was fixed, then recurred in the F8 test cycle, is fixed in the
> later standard kernels but not in the -xen kernel.

only one seriously bug for me in fc5 (boot from raid1|5)
two little update-bugs in f7

not fedora faults:
nv-bugs (nvidia)
one (ibm)harddisk-crash (no raid - 2004) - only a few lost files, not
really dramatically
one accidently  `rm -rf /path/to/data/` - ok, 2 backups per year is not
really often
one accidently fc6-i386 update over fc5-x86_64 - oops, nice result :)

> These are evidence, amounting to proof in my eyes, that Fedora isn't
> suitable for important daily use.
>
> If you can handle problems such as those,

i hope so ;)
if all goes wrong i need a rescue- or live-cd and chroot

> and they won't seriously inconvenience you if your system is down for
> a day or more, then by all means use Fedora for day-to-day work.

one day ore more without fedora/redhat ?
max. 2 - 4 hours and i should have fedora back for my day_to_day_work
even on a completely new system.

ok,
let us go back to rawhide ;)

--