wget prefers IPv4 address over IPv6 one

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 17 07:50:42 UTC 2007

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Whether it works for you is irrelevant, wget has to work everywhere,
>> including networks that aren't configured for IP6.
>>
>> Since _I_ don't take special action to support IP6, probably it falls
>> over at my Internet gateway where IP6 traffic has to be mapped into IP4
>> and NAT.
>
> If you don't have IPv6 configured then trying to ask it to use it is not going
> to get far, wget does not have to work when you do that.  However, if you do
> have IPv6 configured and have connectivity to outside IPv6 networks then it
> seems silly for wget to choose IPv4 when its given addresses in both families as
> viable DNS resolution, which was his complaint.

I'm suggesting that the existing code works with minimal fuss and bother.

I've not noticed any of the soho adsl routers supporting IP6, and until
they do we're stuck with IP4 for everyone who wants to provide or enjoy
public access.

> I think shrek is right Dawid, bugzilla it; transitioning to IPv6 should still be
> a priority and all apps should choose to use it when given the choice to make
> (and both are viable choices).

Before doing that, I suggest checking other programs, ftp clients such
as ftp and lftp, telnet to the ftp port, and anything else that comes to
hand.

It might be that there's more than wget needs adaptation. It's also
perfectly possible the folk working on wget don't actually have an
IP6-capable network.

--

Cheers
John