rawhide install report 2007-12-20

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Fri Dec 21 11:37:35 UTC 2007

Having solved the "problem" of not having a working local rawhide repo,
I finally got a chance to try an install tonight.

[The problem was that the mirror I had been mirroring stopped reflecting
the images directory and other necessary bits of rawhide.]

1) I like the "look 'n feel" of the installer now, much more responsive and
   better looking.  Still the dull grey color scheme, but getting better.

2) The install ultimately failed due to a missing piece in the images
   (a missing cracklib dictionary  BZ 426444)

3) The installer wastes a significant amount of resources to resize a logical
   volume despite the fact that the "resized" lv is marked for reformatting
   anyway. [BZ 426466]

   The new horizontal bouncer seems to eat a lot of CPU time during the unneeded
   fsck that took place too.  It may be "too cute for words."

4) The installer does not "automagically" enable the network adapter it used
   to load anaconda from a NFS repo anymore.  You have to manually check on
   the activate-on-boot box. [BZ 426473]

5) It is ridiculous to immediately commit partitioning and format filesystems
   rather than to defer the formatting much later in the install. [BZ 426474]

   The user has no time to reconsider partitioning on the basis of software
   selections, and subsequent errors (e.g. BZ426444) or dependency hell leave
   the target system in an unuseable state.

The Anaconda Team deserves kudos for the rapid pace of recent improvements and
the updated look and feel, but some significant holes have been left exposed.

--
Wolfe