Fedora Unity Re-Spin

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Dec 24 00:21:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 10:14:36 +0900,
  John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Let me see, did you say you've had 40 sign up for testing and only five
> provide feedback (that's a pretty good rate of response btw)?

Note that they need specific things checked off and you you have the same
hardware (architecure) as two other people that beat you to the test matrix,
then you aren't going to provide feedback.

In my case I want to use their installer updates for my custom Games Spin
and won't have direct feedback. Because I want my spin ready by Christmas
Eve, I won't get to testing their spin for a while assuming there is a
test that hasn't already been done that I can reasonably do.

> btw I'm glad to note the use of jigdo, if your announcement lead to my
> deciding I gotta have it, presumably I can fill the template with more
> local packages.

There is an issue with using jigdo and referring to an Updates repo. Things
disappear from Updates repos over time. They need to make a fallback
location to get the rpms that drop out of Updates over time or their
templates will break.

> 4. Don't be so precious about getting it right all the time; a fedora
> respin that doesn't go through an extensive beta program of its own is
> never going to be better than Fedora, and three of the eight continuing
> threads in my view of the fedora users' list suggest F8 is broken, two
> failures after software updates and one install failure.

I'd rather see them take a different tack. I would like to see them get
access to get updates done to Anaconda and other installer related packages
in already released versions. And then maintain kickstart samples for various
types of spins and provide good documentation on how to make them.

It seems odd to me that they don't just publish stuff openly on their web
site (with disclaimers that they feel are appropiate). They aren't really
secretive about things though. When I asked for access to things they were
very helpful.