KDE 4 live image for i686

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Wed Dec 26 12:33:35 UTC 2007

On Dec 25, 2007 8:47 AM, Sebastian Vahl <ml at deadbabylon.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've prepared a KDE4 live image for i686 for testing purposes. Last
> weeks rawhide images didn't include the kde one because of a problem
> with intel video drivers. Kwin would automatically enable compositing
> support on such cards which seems to be broken atm. But we haven't a
> bug report for that, yet. So if someone would like to provide one,
> please test these images. radeon/nv users should not have these
> problems.
>
> http://www.fedoraforum.de/iso/test/rawhide-KDE4-i686-20071220/rawhide-KDE4-i686-20071220.iso
> http://www.fedoraforum.de/iso/test/rawhide-KDE4-i686-20071220/rawhide-KDE4-i686-20071220.sha1sum
>
> These images are based on rawhide from 2007-12-20 and also include
> Jeremy's modifications to the kickstarts (like on the normal rawhide
> image).
>
> I'm not sure if installation would work. With my limited test
> capabilities over christmas I cannot test these properly. In my tests
> on one machine I've got problems with the partitioning. If this also
> happens to you, please bug it.
>

> Merry christmas,
>
> Sebastian
>
> --

Tried this on a three hosts, and i have problems galore.

Homebrew host 1:
  Adding news ticker to the taskbar then klicking on the pager
resulted in the news ticker story being displayed
  The Lock/Logout applet corrupts the display, although the "The
session was locked" dialog is OK, and the desktop is restored
correctly.

Homebrew host 2:
  Second monitor of a dual display has a corrupted text display during
both RHGB and KDE session
  On login, I get a window with "The audio playback device ALi M5455
with ALC850 (ALi M5455) does not work.  Failing back to Esound (ESD)."

On a Dell Inspiron 1420 (Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)):
  RHGB display is corrupted, although the KDE desktop is OK
  Konqueror can't display any web pages (either by hostname or IP
address) with the somewhat unhelpful "An error occurred while loading
http://".  telnet confirms its not a network issue.  The News Ticker
applet doesn't display any results either, so it looks like a KDE HTTP
problem?
  Using the slideshow for desktop backgrounds occasionally results in
parts of the background being corrupted, most often the top 50 or so
lines.

Common problems:
  nm-applet crashes when clicking on any entry in the menu (X Window
System error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes))
  Adding applets to the RHS of the taskbar where the system tray is
resizes the taskbar (down from 100%) and leaves a white block to the
left of the taskbar.
  The license type drop down in Konqueror start up page only displays
each option when the mouse is down over that option or is already
selected (i.e. you can't see unselected options without clicking on
them)
  The Lock/Logout applet only lets me lock the desktop.
  When logging into KDE, the usual "Starting desktop" etc messages on
the splash screen are not present
  One of the "Useful Tips" in KTip states that pressing the middle
mouse button on the desktop will give a list of all windows on each
desktop, but it doesn't work.  Some other tips don't work, so maybe
KTip is not KDE4?
  Typing "konsole" in the Search part of the K Menu tries to run
konsolekalendar rather than konsole.  It looks like I have to type
"terminal".  i.e. knowing how to launch it from the command line won't
help me here.
  The CD's "Boot from local drive" option reboots (after a prompt)
then boots from the CD again.