sort installed but not found

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Feb 1 16:48:17 UTC 2007

Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> ["so<TAB>" finds sort, "rpm -qa | sort" doesn't]

Perhaps the "sort" is mistyped somehow (i.e., you snuck in a correction
into the command name)? Perhaps the sort it is finding is not sort(1),
i.e., /bin/sort (which(1) should answer that, try calling that one
explicitly). Perhaps the PATH is borked? It could be a error message from
the sort program being called (yes, I've seen my share of less than useful
messages in my time). What shell are you using?

The package containing sort could be broken, try "rpm -Vf /bin/sort".

Try something like "sort /etc/passwd" or "/bin/sort /etc/passwd", if it
fails, try

  strace sort /etc/passwd 2> /tmp/SOMEPLACESAFE

or the same with /bin, and look at what it tries to do and where it fails.
That should give some clue on what is going on here.