FC7 from rawhide : "display" menu unavaible ?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 1 18:44:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:02:54AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I thought we were getting rid of s-c-d?

I hope that nobody seriously considers such idea.  That would
be an unmitigated disaster.

Although you can probably hope that default modes will be more or
less ok, even if in various situations I have seen a display shifted
far to one side, or scrunched, or otherwise badly distorted beyond
what you can hope to correct with monitor controls (and you do not
want to fiddle with these all the time in case you boot also
something else) then there is no way you can rely on monitor EDID
data.  You may not get any or, even worse, something bad.  Leaving
all these users with "Generic 800x600 VGA" does not even start to
sound funny.  "Buy a better monitor" in general is not that good
answer.

  Michal