The state of rawhide

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Thu Feb 1 18:53:21 UTC 2007

tor, 01 02 2007 kl. 11:21 -0700, skrev Jonathan Corbet:
> So...I've been finding the rawhide experience to be a little more raw
> than usual since about when FC6 came out.  I've not seen a lot of
> complaints, though, which leads me to wonder if I'm the only one.
> Here's some of what I've encountered on my x86-64 system:
>
>  - The system thrashes.  I guess I'm an old-fashioned sort of guy, but I
>    really think that 1GB ought to be enough to run a basic desktop, even
>    on a 64-bit system.  Firefox, Thunderbird, and Liferea are all leaky
>    as sieves; I have to restart them occasionally or the system just
>    bogs down.  There is a memory-leak in gnome-terminal that I can't get
>    the developers to even look for.  Tomboy is huge, but that may just
>    be part of life with mono.
>
>  - Gnome-terminal occasionally becomes unresponsive.  Some windows work,
>    others do not - though they usually come back eventually.  This
>    behavior seems to be correlated with the memory problems, but the
>    system is not thrashing while I'm waiting for a terminal to
>    acknowledge my existence.
>
>  - Gnucash now refuses to start.  I get a lot of messages like "Failed
>    to dlopen() '/usr/lib64/gnucash/libgncmod-hbci.la': file not found".
>    The interesting thing being that the indicated files *do* exist.
>
>  - Metacity occasionally gets hung.  It happens most often when trying
>    to resize a window, but I can also occasionally see it when using
>    menus from the panel at the bottom of the screen.  The pointer goes
>    into an "I'm busy" state, and nobody gets any more keyboard or mouse
>    events.  Switching out of X and back (alt-ctrl-F1) makes the hang go
>    away.
>
>  - I still have to clear out /var/lib/rpm/__db* fairly often.
>
> Now I'm not complaining.  I know the drill, and I'm sufficiently
> masochistic (and backed up) to run rawhide on a system I use for real
> work.  But I begin to wonder if there might be something that has gone
> fundamentally wrong on my system, or if this is just the way rawhide
> works these days...?

I would tend to agree that Development is rather in a rough state, it's
usable but absolutely not it's normal joyful self. Totem especially
seems to be suffering, it seems very temperamental about even basic
tasks.

I am also seeing the thrashing on my AMD64 X2 with a gig of ram (I used
to have 2 gigs but one stick died and I'm waiting for the RMA). I was
wondering if I did something but I'm glad to hear it's a more widespread
issue.. in the sense that I'm for once not to blame.

On the plus side at least Development boots on my dmraid now and Compiz
works rather well on my r200 card.

- David

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”