f7test1: Who's on first? [SATA+PATA device naming]

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Fri Feb 2 16:21:17 UTC 2007

During install of f7test1, the hard drives were: /dev/sda /dev/sdb.
Upon first boot, the names became swapped:       /dev/sdb /dev/sda.
Then I powered down, plugged in a new hard drive
and rebooted.  Everything changed again:         /dev/sdc /dev/sdb
with the new drive being                /dev/sda.

I can handle file systems: they have labels and UUIDs.
I'd like a choice to deal with SATA and PATA interfaces using
some kind of name that never changes, and preferably a name that
relates to something I can see,  such as: "the drive attached to
cable 2 of the card in slot 5" or "the <Manufacturer> drive with
serial number 1D2C3B4A", etc.  How can I do this?  Note that
/var/log/messages no longer has any lines that identify drives
like the old "found [or attached] SCSI device" messages in FC6.
There are no longer any "partition check" messages or capacity
messages, either.  Presumably something in /proc/bus or /sys
knows, but perhaps udev needs some help?

[At install one drive was SATA (/dev/sda in FC6), the other was
PATA (/dev/hdd in FC6; the FC6 /dev/hdc is a DVD that became
/dev/scd0).  The added drive was PATA (/dev/hda in FC6.)]