Scanner not found

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Feb 3 04:42:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:38:37PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> My Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner is not found in F7T1.  To make it
> work in FC6, I only needed to install iscan, downloaded from avasys.com,
> and it automatically worked.

I cannot tell you about F7T1 but to make it work under FC6 you
do not need iscan.  It actually works much nicer with xsane.  The
trick is that you need to place a firmware file esfw54.bin
in /etc/sane.d/firmware/ directory and possibly also a line

firmware /etc/sane.d/firmware/esfw52.bin

in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf

I do not have that scanner but my friend does. :-)

'esfw52.bin' can be found somewhere via Google.  I would imagine
that it came too with that iscan you were using.  OpenSUSE has
also iscan-firmware rpm with firmware blobs for various Epson
scanners.  No problems to unpack that.

> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0119 [EPSON
> Scanner]) at libusb:002:005

If you will give it firmware than I would expect that all will work.

   Michal