Fedora 7 Test 1 printer setup

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 06:49:14 UTC 2007

On 2/2/07, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 08:24:00AM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> >
> > Shouldn't Avahi be running to detect printers on the network?
>
> Are really all your network printers zeroconf?  If that is the
> case and you have more than one network printer then your
> hardware budget is likely way too high. :-)

I have one Epson Stylus Photo R340 connected to the USB
printer port on my Airport Extreme access point.  I am not
sure that Zeroconf works for it, but I know that Avahi finds it.
I was expecting the printer configuration tool to find the printer
and then let me select it for configuration via CUPS.
To use the printer, it has to be accessed as via
"192.168.1.100:9801/".  I am not sure whether the current
printer setup does the right thing,  But, I am not sure whether
the current Gnome config program does the right thing.  If the
trailing "/" is missing, CUPS will fail to connect to the printer,
because it'll try to access port 9800 instead.
Personally, I think this is a bug in CUPS and it should not
require the trailing slash.

         Miles