Fedora 7 Test 1 printer setup

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Feb 3 18:53:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:49:14PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:

> I have one Epson Stylus Photo R340 connected to the USB
> printer port on my Airport Extreme access point.  I am not
> sure that Zeroconf works for it, but I know that Avahi finds it.

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon scripts says:

#              Zeroconf service discovery on a network.

so it sounds like your printer knows how to identify itself.  Newer
network printers tend to support zeroconf but you cannot assume for
sure that it will be there.  Chances are not bad, as Macs wanted to
see that service for quite a while, but certainity is another thing.
Most likely a network printer is able to request an IP number via
DHCP but then you better configure your DHCP server to tie-up a
specific IP number to a printer interface MAC for obvious reasons.

> To use the printer, it has to be accessed as via
> "192.168.1.100:9801/".

That is an interesting port.  "Sakura Script Transfer Protocol-2"???
Usually network printers will provide print services on some
combination of ports 9100 (i.e. jetdirect), 515 (printer) and 631
(ipp) ports. 'nmap' will tell you that if you will ask. :-)
Maybe because of this "Airport Extreme" in the middle which
sounds like it is doing a job of a printer server and in that
sense your R340 is not really a network printer at all?

   Michal