Fedora 7 Test 1 printer setup

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 19:15:56 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 10:49:14PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> >
> > I have one Epson Stylus Photo R340 connected to the USB
> > printer port on my Airport Extreme access point.  I am not
> > sure that Zeroconf works for it, but I know that Avahi finds it.
>
> /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon scripts says:

> #              Zeroconf service discovery on a network.
>
> so it sounds like your printer knows how to identify itself.  Newer
> network printers tend to support zeroconf but you cannot assume for
> sure that it will be there.  Chances are not bad, as Macs wanted to
> see that service for quite a while, but certainity is another thing.
> Most likely a network printer is able to request an IP number via
> DHCP but then you better configure your DHCP server to tie-up a
> specific IP number to a printer interface MAC for obvious reasons.
>
> > To use the printer, it has to be accessed as via
> > "192.168.1.100:9801/".
>
> That is an interesting port.  "Sakura Script Transfer Protocol-2"???
> Usually network printers will provide print services on some
> combination of ports 9100 (i.e. jetdirect), 515 (printer) and 631
> (ipp) ports. 'nmap' will tell you that if you will ask. :-)
> Maybe because of this "Airport Extreme" in the middle which
> sounds like it is doing a job of a printer server and in that
> sense your R340 is not really a network printer at all?

The R340 is a USB printer.

Oh drat.  Right.  The port is 9101.

nmap reports:
                 Discovered open port 9101/tcp on 192.168.1.1

With a firmware update a while back, Apple switched the
Airport Extreme printer port from 9100 to 9101.  This has
messed up the Gnome printer configuration tool in the past.
There was no handling in the config tool to automatically add
the "/" at the end when a non-standard port was used.
As I said, I think this is a CUPS bug.

Avahi Discover reports:
     PDL Printer
           EPSON Stylus Photo R340