What is the fascination with 'spins'

monty19@ hotmail.com monty19 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 20:19:45 UTC 2007

OK, here goes.  I'll probably have to duck and run for my life after this,
although it's not my intention to upset anyone by any means.

Personally, I think having separate ISO images for Desktop, Developer,
Server, KDE, and whatever else is a pretty silly idea.  It's one of the main
reasons I don't like Ubuntu.  I run Fedora on a system I would classify as a
server, and one I would classify as a Desktop, although some would seem to
classify it as a Developer Workstation, despite my rather sincere belief
that I am not a developer.  Reagardless of classification though, it takes
just one DVD to install any systems I have.  That's just me at home with two
computers I run Linux on; now consider those in an IT environment and how
many systems in how many different roles they may be supporting.  How big a
collection of discs is he going to need?  And if you're going to point at
that individual and say he should be using RHEL, or something similar, then
why have a server spin at all?

I like having just one CD, with the vast majority of what I want to install.
  It takes me a few minutes tops to download what I want from Extras now,
versus the many times that it took to install the developer packages I
wanted with F7T1...

Now, I know it is a goal to merge Fedora Core and Extras, so here are my
questions.  As of Fedora 6, it looks like the binary CD was ~3.4GB (going
off of http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/)  That still leaves 1.3GB on a
4.7GB DVD available for new additions.  How big is Extras?  Even if it is
bigger than that, why not create one DVD to the fullest extent that you can
with the most popular packages, and then create a second install disc for
the remaining packages, more akin to the Solaris Companion Disc.  How many
images are you going to release?  Two per supported platform seems better
than what sounds like a whole lot more coming down the road...

I look at it this way; if you're going to download two ISO images, then why
not download two that have all the packages you want.  Why download a server
disc, and a desktop disc, which may both be lacking packages you want to
install, and then are forced to download anyway...

I'm not saying that the ability to create your own disc with just the
software you want is necessarilly a bad thing either; it's just that with
the current route there are going to be a lot more people making their own
discs, than downloading the ones created by the Fedora team, and then what's
the point of releasing any at all?

I just can't help but feel like this is a less than ideal turn of direction
for Fedora, not just for the reasons above, but also because it is going to
confuse new users.  Which of the discs do I want?  What if I need something
else?  Do I have to create my own spin?  Can I download it afterward?
Simple questions for everyone here, but it's going to confuse the daylights
out of people looking at Linux as an alternative to whatever they are
running now...

Just my two cents, for whatever they're worth...