What is the fascination with 'spins'

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Feb 4 22:01:51 UTC 2007

Quoting Jim Cornette <fct-cornette at insight.rr.com>:

> monty19@ hotmail.com wrote:
>> OK, here goes.  I'll probably have to duck and run for my life
>> after this, although it's not my intention to upset anyone by any
>> means.
>>
>> Personally, I think having separate ISO images for Desktop,
>> Developer, Server, KDE, and whatever else is a pretty silly idea.
>
> Agreed, especially if one uses programs from all categories.

I also agree here. I love having one DVD to do it all. After all, when
the base install is on the system, it's pretty much a matter of using
yum to install what else you need anyhow....

I think the whole point of spins are to make things easier for newbies
- a default install if you will that has the most common apps. This
being said, I would like to see a 'newbie' CD and a single DVD instead
of a multitude of other options.

I install on 2 machines... One that does pretty much everything
internet, and another one for testing, asterisk, streaming DVB via
multicast and whatever else catches my fancy. It's great being able to
do that from a single DVD.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au