What is the fascination with 'spins'

monty19@ hotmail.com monty19 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:26:02 UTC 2007

>Even if it is 2 DVDs?

Yes

>Heh, that's the game we're trying to play here, figure out what goes on and
>what doesn't.  Plus there are countries where DVD hardware/media is still
>vastly more expensive so you have to consider the CD count too, 8 CDs
>anybody?  Mirrors would strangle me if I asked them to mirror 8 CDs, 2 DVDs
>* 3 arches.

I hadn't considered that, but the alternate route sounds just as bad.
Server, Desktop, and KDE?  All maybe 2GB.  That's almost as bad as one 4.7
and one partial DVD image.  And what about the CD collections for them.  How
many CD's total is that going to be per platform?  Sounds like angry mirrors
either way.  You can always give me their email addresses I guess; I like
arguiing with people; but on second thought that I might be a bad idea, as
you may end up with far less mirrors than you have now. ;)

But the question I asked before that still hasn't been answered, is how big
is Extras right now?  It looks (probably quite desceptively) relatively
small when looking at the directory on download.fedora.redhat.com.  Does the
sum total for Core and Extras really add up to more than the 4.7 GB that a
DVD would provide?  Do you really even need two DVD images to get a complete
install?