torrent very quick, why? (not complaining) - also desktop, upgradeable?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Feb 6 03:42:08 UTC 2007

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 21:50 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Is there a technical reason why the torrent was as quick as it way? I
>> never got 700k transfers before with the torrent. Usually I only get 20k
>> to 40k transfers.
>> Upload is only 20k to feed the torrent on my machine though.
>
> Bittorrent transfers are fast if there are a lot of systems contributing
> bandwidth.  There is only one system that is an "official" seed.  Even
> though that system is on a pretty fast link when you get a lot of people
> trying to download at the same time it can take a while.  I have a
> pretty decent link at work so I made a point of setting up a client as
> soon as the torrents were available and sharing my bandwidth.  I think
> several others did the same.
>
> Jeff

The extra bandwidth helped out considerably. I expected the download to
take overnight and maybe longer. I was surprised that it took whatever
700kb/sec would take in time for the ISO to download.

I left the torrent on and contributed overnight and a workday which
contributed some, but it seemed pitiful to what was received.

Thanks!
Jim

--
QOTD:
	"If he learns from his mistakes, pretty soon he'll know everything."