What is the fascination with 'spins'

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 13:19:26 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/5/07, James Hubbard <jameshubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's not a fair assumption.  Almost all of the developers in my
> > organization have laptops that are running some form of Fedora,
> > because it's almost always easier to get fedora running on laptops
> > because of better component support.  It seems to be easier to get
> > things like wifi, susped/resume, etc working.
>
> Yes. But you said their laptops....aren't they responsible for their
> laptops? Or is their a single IT person responsible for installing
> Fedora on the laptops of your fellow employees?

Typically what happens is that one or two of us blaze the trail to a
new release.  I'm usually the first.  As long as nothing major breaks
and we can get meaningful work done others will start using the new
release.  Once there's a few of us using it, someone will setup
another desktop/laptop for the sysadmin shop with what is needed.
They'll ghost it and use the image for a while.

Not all of the developers are interested in installing their own
systems.  New hires that don't have a lot of experience with Linux
usually get the ghosted image.  I believe there may be one or two
using Gentoo and perhaps one using Ubuntu.

For FC6, I had to spend a couple of hours getting the fc5 OpenMotif
srpm to compile, making sure that one of the major apps that we
support compiled and ran properly. OpenMotif is a requirement for us.

The process for creating custom "spins" needs to be as easy as
possible.  We finally got the process for creating FC5 "spins"
automated after a few days of effort.  Whatever is created for "spins"
needs to be easy to use and work for multiple version releases.  For
example, I want to be able to create a Fedora 9 or 10 spin on my
Fedora 7 box that contains the files.

--
James Hubbard
http://soweva.blogspot.com