What is the fascination with 'spins'

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:53:48 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 13:30, James Hubbard wrote:
> > I don't believe that my needs are more serious than the others that
> > have expressed an opinion/need/want. I just wanted to describe what
> > happens in our environment to give context to "developer workstation"
> > discussion. No matter what happens we'll work around the issues. We at
> > least have that opportunity unlike some of the other environments out
> > there.
>
> Wouldn't it be best if you created a spin of Fedora that best suited the needs
> of your environment, possibly even including packages outside the Fedora
> world that your coworkers may need?  You wouldn't be able to distribute this
> outside your workplace, but still...

Probably.  It's nice to be able to pull a single image off of a
website anywhere on the net and not have to worry about whether or not
it had everything we needed.  FC3, 4, and 5 has everything that we
need that wasn't binary/closed for the majority of our developers.  FC
6 breaks this for us.  It looks like FC7 could be worse.

Also, it sounds like we'll have to maintain separate environments to
create the spins for the various releases and architectures.  x86_64
for hasn't been a big deal yet, but we'll probably start using it
more.  Of course the various virtual machines will make that easier,
but it's one more thing to maintain.

--
James Hubbard
http://soweva.blogspot.com