Rawhide -- Gnome Power Manager: "Either hal or dbus are not working!"

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 07:15:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am getting this message when I boot rawhide with the current
updates.  This has been happening for about 36 hours.  One result is
that NetworkManager (nm-applet) isn't working.  That is, neither wired
or wireless adapters are seen as present.

I have tried reinstalling hal and dbus.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

I don't see any hal-related processes running.
I just tried running "hald" as root and, lo and behold,
it worked.  For some reason, hald isn't getting started
when I boot.  Is this a problem in packaging, or a
corruption of my configuration?

Thanks!

         Miles