Why haven't my updates been pushed to testing?

Jon Ahlquist ahlquist at met.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 15 21:04:15 UTC 2007

Chuck Ebbert <cebbert <at> redhat.com> writes:
> I submitted:
> 	kernel-2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
> 	kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6
> for testing yesterday. How long will it take for them to
> be pushed out?

I have installed 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 on several computers,
and it works fine in general, but we have encountered one
important problem that has forced us to roll back the kernel
to the previous release on our most important computer that prepares
weather forecast graphics several times each day for a Web site
running on this computer (http://ahlquist.met.fsu.edu).

We have a cron job that runs a bash shell script which calls Perl
scripts and other bash scripts every 15 minutes,
checking whether new data files are available.  This script
has been running fine for months.  It even runs fine with
version 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 of the kernel as long as it is run
in a terminal window.  Unfortunately, the script locks up the whole
computer near the end of its work when it is run as a cron job.
It is not obvious what is different about what is happening
at the lock-up time compared to ran fine a minute of two earlier.

When we rolled back the kernel to the previous version,
everything works fine as it has for months under earlier
version of Fedora Core.

Our Perl scripts process data files with two compiled
Fortran programs, followed by a graphics utility to
prepare graphs for the Web site.
Is it possible that the new kernel has soemthing
new involving SE Linux that is causing the lock-up?
But, if it is an SE Linux issue, why would the application
work fine when run in a terminal window but fail when run
as a cron job?

Thanks for your hard work.
Jon Ahlquist