gnome-screensaver high cpu load upon entering password at lock

Mark Schlegel moschleg at verizon.net
Sat Feb 17 05:49:25 UTC 2007

I just updated rawhide and one of the packaged updated was
gnome-screensaver 2.17.7-3. I noticed that the cpu load shown by
top takes off when you try to log back in past the screensaver lock.

I'm only using the blank black screen saver (no images or opengl)
and I think the high cpu was not in response to an incorrect
password but one that was put in correctly.
The machine is a thinkpad T41.

I then rebooted because after I did the yum update
that included gnome-screensaver I had
only exited gnome and re-started it with startx.
The reboot also allowed me to go to the kernel that
was pulled down by yum at the same time --
(2.6.20-1.2932.fc7 ). However the screensaver still
runs away on the cpu and also doesn't let me past
the screensaver lock.

Mark