Installing Fedora Development

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Feb 22 13:21:04 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Thought I might share some experiences installing Fedora development (as
of a couple of days ago).

Initially, I tried installing using the boot.iso file found using ftp.
This booted fine and worked to a point.

Things worth noting:

I tried the graphical install and it takes forever to download the
stage2.img file.  There's no feedback about what's happening during this
download and there were a couple of times I was sure nothing was
happening.

The graphical install went well until the actual time when the packages
are installed.  Just before downloading the packages it seems it makes a
check to find the files needed to install (or maybe it's downloading
them).  Anyhow, it couldn't find beagle-evolution and left me with no
choice but to exit the install.  Maybe an opportunity to skip the
package and things that depend on it should be offered).

I then tried a text based install.  Downloading minstg2.img (???) took a
while too, but this time I was expecting it.  It would still be nice to
have some file downloading indication (maybe an indication of file size
and percentage complete).

The text install is very usable, but there no option to add other boot
items to grub.  You can edit the default, but not add them.  Does this
need to be added?

Also, I did a custom install to avoid beagle-evolution, but it packed up
at beecrypt (???) and I had to bail again.

Also, during the text install, something 'freaked' and there was text
all over the screen.  The install continued, but something clearly had
gone wrong at some stage.

Finally, I did a install of FC6 and then after starting the first time I
switched the relevant yum,.repo.d files to use development and then run
yum update.  At some point in the update of 625 files, during the
install/update/remove stage the machine 'restarted' X.  After re-logging
in, then re-running yum update I got complains about gnome-python2-*
files.  It turns out there was some duplicates causing yum update to
fail.  I had to do a little manual rpm nursing to resolve (and remove
the duplicates) and then all was good.

Really, finally, the kernel I ended up with had network issues so I
couldn't actually use the net so I've been using FC6 ever since.
Hopefully this will be resolved today.

R.
 It's much better on my side"