yum and rpm down after an upgrade.

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 17:20:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 21:46 -0800, oldman wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 20:12 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >>
> >> Now, how do I get rpm and yum up and running again?
> >
> > Run ldconfig
> >
> 	Just wanted to add my thanks!  I couldn't even reboot after updating
> this P.M. (was able to boot into level 1 to run ldconfig though.
>
> 	Might I ask how you happened to know that that would fix it?  I've been
> running linux since RedHat 7.2 and I think I may have come across this
> once before.

libz's DSO version number went backwards between updates.  Somehow this
left the libz.so.1 symlink pointing at libz.so.1.2.3, which no longer
existed.

So, bug 1 was fixing libz's DSO number, which should be sorted now.  The
other bug is why we didn't manage to get ldconfig to do the right thing.
Anyone with a clue on that?

- ajax