Evolution showing emails upside down

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 02:27:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 20:00 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 16:55 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> > Caret Mode can induce this behavior, make sure "caret mode" is not
> > enabled. Go to the view menu and make sure caret mode is cleared. Caret
> > mode is enabled by hitting F7, a common finger fumble.

> Thanks, that was the problem.  Never knew that was there or what it was
> used for.

Yeah, I don't think many folks know it's there or what's it for either.
Don't feel bad you're not the first person to be bitten by this. I only
discovered it after a month of cursing at evolution's bad behavior when
Jonathan Blanford in the desktop group pointed it out to me. IMHO it's a
bad design to have a feature be so easily toggled on which silently
produces odd behavior. Apparently different apps do bettor jobs of
alerting the user it is on (e.g. firefox displays a warning dialog, some
apps display an indicator in their status bar), however evolution is
silent with respect to caret mode :-(
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>