ati x1400 (text mode) F7+

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 20:01:08 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 13:40 -0600, Justin Conover wrote:
> > Using either fd7t1 disk or a recent rescue/http install cd, I only
> > have the option for text/vnc install instead of graphical. What can I
> > check to see what is broken?
>
> You have a card that ATI actively refuses to allow open source
> developers to release code for.  You should let them know how you feel
> about that.

I have....

Odd that it won't at least come up with vesa though.  Can you run X with
> the vesa driver once it's installed?

Doesn't even let me use X -configure, refuses to create an xorg.conf,  I've
blow out rawhide on here now because of it, cause I was lacking sleep and
got irritated ;)

I can re-install if you want to go through and figure out why.  I know "we"
shouldn't buy hardware with "cards" that aren't open source, but uh we do
and like you said, it works with vesa in fc6 and I can promise when F7 comes
out, I'm not the only one with a laptop and this card.

- ajax