Are My RPM/Yum Seg-Faults Due to the Kernel FIle Corruption?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jan 3 08:29:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Paul Dickson wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:18:43 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
>> the bug wasn't seen prior to 2.6.19 so I doubt what you see is related
>> to it...
>
> In the note about 2.6.20-rc2 says its been there since at least 2.6.18.3.

Yup, and it certainly affects at least apt-rpm in current Fedora 5 & 6
kernels. I've seen a bunch of crash reports (and managed to reproduce it a
few times myself) which all are caused by zeroes in apt's cachefile where
data is expected...

In the cases I managed to reproduce it, no rpmdb corruption was present,
just apt's own cachefile. But as rpm uses mmap it's at least *possible*
some of the rpm issues people see in FC6 are caused by it.

 	- Panu -