USB/NFS install of rawhide Grub problem.

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Sun Jan 21 00:27:46 UTC 2007

I found a use for the little 16MB memory cards that come with your camera.
I put one in a USB reader and it seems to work fine.
I tried to use the bootdisk.img file, but I couldn't get my IBM T30 laptop
to boot from that.
I tried dd if=bootkdisk.img of=/dev/sdc
fdisk -l /dev/sdc
lists a bunch or partitions and whines about them.
So I did:
mount p450:/var/download/rawhide /media
dd if=/dev/zero /dev/sdc
/usr/lib/syslinux/mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdc 0 64 32
sync
sleep 5
syslinux /dev/sdc4
mount /dev/sdc4 /mnt/sdc
cd /mnt/sdc
cp -av /media/isolinux/* .
mv isolinux.cfg syslinux.cfg
rm -f isolinux.bin
cd /
sync
umount /mnt/sdc
umount /media

Boot from usb device.

The problem that I ran into was grub decided my hard drive should be (hd1,1)
and it should have been (hd0,1).
One think that I noticed that the background was all black since it couldn't
find /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz since it was looking for a drive that didn't
exist.
I am guessing that it sees the usb as hd0 so it thinks the hard drive will
be hd1.
I have seen things like this with RHEL 4 and having more than 1 drive.  It
seems to want to use the wrong drive or the count is off.

If I decide to file a bug report, would it be against grub or another
program?

Also it looks like Bluetooth was loaded.  I don't have Bluetooth.
I thought one of the goals of 7 was to not load things you don't have.