Fighting the i386 plague

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 23:11:55 UTC 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 17:44, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> No, I've been trying to get rid of i386 stuff, remember?  I checked that
> before posting my first message.  Only the x86_64 version was installed.

So that may be one distinct bug.

> I think the situation is a little more complicated, anyway.  If I say:
>
>         yum install frobnitz

I call bs.

$ rpm -q tcl
package tcl is not installed
[jkeating at reducto comps]$ sudo yum install tcl
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
development               100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
extras-development        100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for tcl to pack into transaction set.
tcl-8.4.13-3.fc6.x86_64.r 100% |=========================|  26 kB    00:00
---> Package tcl.x86_64 0:8.4.13-3.fc6 set to be updated
---> Package tcl.i386 0:8.4.13-3.fc6 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Installing:
 tcl                     x86_64     8.4.13-3.fc6     development       960 k
 tcl                     i386       8.4.13-3.fc6     development       961 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 1.9 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!

> It does *not* go off and install both versions - I just get the x86_64
> version, which is what I would want.

This is only true if you have an exclude line that tells yum to not look at
*.i?86 packages.  _OR_ the 'frobitz' you're asking to install isn't available
for multilib.  Not every package is.

> The i386 packages seem to mostly
> sneak in through upgrades, as was shown in my example.

Again, we may be talking about a distinct bug here.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora