emacs 22

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 17:40:09 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 11:00, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> Interesting...today's update brought in the emacs 22 pretest snapshot.
>> This is OK with me - I've been building my own version for a little bit
>> now.  But I do find it curious, given that emacs 22 final before the
>> Fedora 7 release seems, um, unlikely.  There are certain things in
>> emacs 22 (gnus being the main example) which do not go back to version
>> 21 in any sort of graceful way.  Does anybody know why this went in now?
>
> The emacs maintainer felt it was OK to put in, ergo it went in.

FWIW, I had been using 22, built from cvs with the xft patches last
year.  I found it to be a bit unstable with periodic and unpredictable
crashes with some level of interaction noted when Firefox was used.
Perhaps related to the FF memory leak issue?

I began to use 23, also from cvs, late last year and despite it's Alpha
status, has been rock solid.  I don't know if the fact that the xft
patches were moved into the mainstream Unicode trunk or other issues
facilitate the better stability in 23.

There are changes in some of the ~/.emacs configs that do need to be
considered with both 22 and 23.

Also, I am using ECB and had to install the latest CEDET (1.0pre3) and
ECB (cvs-snapshot) packages to get them to work properly.

Emacs with xft is a thing of beauty on a high-res LCD panel.  :-)

Anyway, since the topic came up, I thought that I would put in my $0.02.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz