[OT] kvm kernel module in fc6?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 05:46:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:21:32 +0000  Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> The kvm package from extras-development is a new addition and will require
>  the coresponding kernel from rawhide, to get the neccessary kernel mods.

thanks Daniel

[snip]

> In FC-6, Xen  HVM guests will happily use VT extensions and will be much
> faster than KVM currently is, not to mention more stable (well for some
> guest OS at least).

Actually, taking Jeremy's src.rpm and the relative spec file I had only to:
- adapt spec file for kvm-10 that was released,
- change the configure line eliminating the "--with-patched-kernel"
part (as said in kvm docs)
- add in %files section the 3 kernel modules to be built
- build the rpm
- install it against my standard 2869 based fc6.

And in less that one hour I was able to have a qemu/kvm wxp sp2
virtual machine running very smoothly being able to connect
transparently to the internet like my physical one:
- seconds to create a 9Gb disk
- 5 minutes for the first part of installation/disk partition (from hd
iso image)
- 9 minutes for the second part with all typical parameters no customizations
- 20 minutes to apply sp2 ita (from hd iso)

Instead with  Xen on fc6 I was only able to get a black screen after
the first part with no way to proceed, after may attempts and read...
I tried all the apic/acpi combinations in configuration file without
success; I read xen related ml on rh but no way. Last time was about
beginning of december.
Based on your comments I will give another deep shot to xen to see if
anything changed with latest kernels and xen packages released for
fc6, that I have updated.

Gianluca