patches for pata disks on sata promise controller

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Fri Jan 12 18:06:49 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Jones" <davej at redhat.com>
To: "James C. Bevier" <jbevier at jbsys.com>
Cc: <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>; <jgarzik at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: patches for pata disks on sata promise controller

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:59:14PM -0700, James C. Bevier wrote:
> > Since the 2.4 kernel, I have had to patch sata_promise.c and libata.c to
> > recognize pata disks.  When the kernel was updated to 2.6.19, all of the
> > patches were discarded.
>
> The 2.6.19 rebase is incomplete. This is why it isn't in updates-testing
> yet.
> Pretty much all the stuff that had conflicts get commented out for the
> time being.
>
> > Why were these patches not integrated upstream
> > over the last two years?
>
> I'll leave Jeff to answer that one.  I know I'm tired of carrying it too.
>
> > Now the code has been redesigned by someone
> > (Jeff?) and the patches invalidated.  Here is a first pass at the
> > patches for the 2.6.19 and beyond kernels.  Dave, could you review the
> > patch and incorporate them into the next kernel rev?  They seem to work
> > for me, but they needed to be tested with a system that has sata disks
> > to make sure I did not screw them up.  Here is the patch and the diffs
> > for the spec file.
>
> Jeff, care to eyeball this?
> (Same diff James sent, but with some indentation fixes)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>

> old patch deleted.................

Dave,

Here is a revised patch for using pata drives on the sata_promise 2037x
controller.  I took out some of the patch that was not getting executed.
This patch was tested with the 2909 kernel.  I re-enabled the patch2200 code
in the spec file to use this new patch.  I sure would like to see this in
the next release of the kernel so it can be widely tested.  This is a
replacement for the pre 2.6.19 patch that no longer works.  It has been two
years for the sata_promise patch, so you would think it should be main
stream by now.

Jim