ntp messed up; where I start?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 15 10:36:54 UTC 2007

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 05:06:19PM -0500, sean wrote:
>> ntp-4.2.2p4-2.fc7.x86_64
>>
>> I set time and date this morning. Now at 16;45 local time, I
>> show 23:09 on the computer.
>
> This is not likely ntp.  Probably something is messing up your
> clocks.  Kernel is pickup up a clock which is broken?
> When differences are too big then ntp is giving up.
>
> A quick check.  Set clock correctly, do not start ntpd at all.
> Is time sane after a while then?
agreed, good place to start.

I had a fast clock through most of fc5. I was able to find some bugzilla
entries, but not a solution. It would get about 00:30:00 fast in
00:10:00 minutes. My understanding is once the {kernel} reads the
hardware time at boot, it keeps track of it's own ticking. When you
shutdown, it writes the current time back to hardware time.

So if the kernel is running out of whack, then:
- there is a kernel bug that should be reported
- you can tell ntp that it is allowed to make large corrections to the
time, and hence keep the free-running clock under control. One way is a
machine within your network that doesn't have the problem.

There is some kernel parameters that I forgot but try the kernel boot
options acpi and timer=pmtimer { similar} to see if that helps.

DaveT.