final patch for pata disks on sata promise controller

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Thu Jan 18 17:02:03 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Garzik" <jgarzik at redhat.com>
To: "Jim Bevier" <jim at jbsys.com>
Cc: "Dave Jones" <davej at redhat.com>; <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: final patch for pata disks on sata promise controller

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 07:53:45PM -0700, Jim Bevier wrote:
>> I found a couple of e-mails on the web from jeff at garzik.org signing off
>> on
>> sata_promise patches to gentoo users.  It is slightly modified from the
>> patch that I sent to you last week.  I merged my mods with those and now
>> have "the last" patch.  This patch should allow pata disks on models
>> 2037x
>> and 2057x sata promise controllers.  This should allow the same
>> functionally as pre 2.6.19 kernels.  I have tested it on the 2911 kernel.
>> I am sorry Jeff chose to not include the gentoo patch in the current
>> fedora
>> libata releases.  I have credited the gentoo people who generated the
>> patch
>> in the attached patch.  How about including it in the next kernel
>> release?
>
> I thought I already replied to you?
>
> The support you want is in libata-dev.git#upstream repository.
>
> Those patches you are attaching are old.
>
> Jeff

I looked at the 'new' patch in the upstream libata-dev.git and it is better
than the one I have been using.  It restricts the changes to just the
sata_promise.c module.  So, when is  this 'new' patch going to show up in a
rawhide kernel?  Or do I have to continue patching the kernel while waiting
(insert time value here) for the changes to be sent to Dave?

Jim