FC6, kernel 2.6.19 and software suspend

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 12:26:53 UTC 2007

Hi All,

A while ago (in the test-2 or test-3 stage of FC6) I got a new laptop.
A Dell Latitude D620. My old laptop was a Latitude D600 running FC5.

I installed the testing release of FC6 because the D620 is a Core Duo
chip and chipset and FC6 looked to have better support for that
hardware. The one thing that never seemed to work was the resume from
suspend, it worked perfectly on FC5 on the D600. I seem to remember I
mentioned it on the list in one of the discussions about it.

Last night I finally got around to playing with it some more. It seems
the reason it doesn't resume (lots of errors spewed to the console
about ata.1) is due to the fact we have a corporate policy of having
HDD passwords on all laptops. If I temporarily remove the HDD password
it resumes perfectly on 2.6.18 but it doesn't on 2.6.19 (hence the
mention of 2.6.19 in the subject).

So is this a known problem with HDD passwords using a SATA chip
(libata presumably) or should I bugzilla it? I seem to remember an age
ago there was this issue somewhere with another ide laptop.

Peter