Fighting the i386 plague

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jan 22 23:25:09 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell writes:

> Not needed packages.. files..
>
> Right now foo.x86_64.rpm and foo.i386.rpm can provide
> /usr/share/foo/important_arch_neutral_file_such_as_a_manpage
>
> If you remove foo.i386.rpm the shared file will get nuked.
>
> RPM can recognize such overlaps and do the right thing, but some code
> which greatly speeds up dependency computation breaks that.

No, this is the other way around.  rpm is broken.  If both package X and
package Y install the same file, removing package X _SHOULD NOT_ remove the
shared file.

And that's the way it works for everything except, inexplicably, %doc files
that go into /usr/share/doc, and locale files in /usr/share/locale.  This is
a known bug that's apparently been in rpm for years.  It's supposedly fixed
in the "upstream" release of rpm, and who knows when that's going to go into
Fedora.  rpm development has stagnated.  Rather than bite the bullet and fix
some of the overgrown bloat and legacy cruft in rpm, the current solution
seems to be to just affix one bandaid after another, i.e. the kludge with
installing the kernel rpms correctly, the external kmdl rpms, etc…

I have no idea why rpm runs different logic for %doc files and locale files.
That's a brain-scratcher.