SDL_gfx - Re: fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 35, Issue 27

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Jan 23 08:24:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:18:39 -0600, wayne wrote:

> > So, look into what SDL_gfx package version is installed and what package
> > would be installed by "yum upgrade". Find out where it comes from.
> >
> These are the repos installed on my computer.
> /etc/yum.repos.d/dries.repo

The new incompatible SDL_gfx from Dries' repo. I see 2.0.15 in there,
which is ABI-incompatible with Fedora >= 6 so far (SDL_gfx 2.0.13).

> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-development.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras-development.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-legacy.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo
> /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo

> When this mess started, libSDL_gfx.so.13 was installed, complete with a
> symlink to it, but was not recognized by yum for some reason. Perhaps
> the db files were already corrupt?

Maybe, maybe not. As soon as one of the enabled repos provides the
incompatible SDL_gfx, your old valid one is not seen anymore in the
transaction check and leads to broken dependencies.

> >> Which repos could cause that?  I believe the only one I have that is not
> >> Fedora is for NVidia drivers, and I only enable it when the kernel is
> >> updated so that I can use my NVidia graphics card.
> >>

> > Instead of guessing that you could simply verify which repositories you
> > have enabled. You've talked about a version of SDL_gfx that is not
> > provided in Fedora Extras 6 and "Development" packages yet. Where does
> > it come from?
> >
> When yum would not adcance with upgrades because of the original error I
> posted, I downloaded version 15 from the website listed and installed
> it.  Yum would still not upgrade.

You need the Fedora-compatible SDL_gfx from Fedora Extras, because
the other packages depend on it.

> >> Also, after I received this response from you, I received the below from
> >> the website from the above link:
> >>

> > That is irrelevant. You search in wrong places. SDL_gfx in Fedora
> > Extras is still at v2.0.13. Only if you mess with upstream package
> > releases or non-Fedora packages, you run into the problems with the
> > SONAME change.
> >
> Could you point me to a documentation source for troubleshooting?

The first step would be to stay in "Fedora" space. That is examine any
broken deps when using *only* Fedora packages, not 3rd party repositories.
The mix of too many repos makes it a bit more difficult to interpret yum's
error messages.

> The person that made the recommendation was apparently from the site
> that provides the driver.  How do I find out who I should listen to?

Prefer official fedora-* lists or message boards and hope that any poor
advice is noticed and commented on by other members of the Fedora
community.