su (PAM) gotcha

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jan 23 22:49:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 07:07:51PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 05:34:51PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I did clean up the *.rpmnew cruft (strangely, all the original and
> > > .rpmnew files cmp(1)ed equal, and had the same permissions).
> >
> > Especially in a multilib situtation a lots of .rpmnew files may
> > show up which do not differ from what is already installed.
>
> I understand that this is a bug...

I am not entirely sure (unless in a broad sense).  If the same
file comes from .i386 package and .x86_64 package then most
likely it may have at least different time-stamps so the
next update will see a difference and it should create .rpmnew.

> This assumes the directories are all absolute paths...

Worksforme so far.  It possible that it can be made a bit smarter.
One advantage is that it is really simple. :-)

> and you don't check
> for possibly different owner/group/permission.

That is why I use those .rpmnew to replace old ones.

   Michal