suspend/resume problems: NetworkManager and iwl3945/ipw3945

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Mon Jul 2 19:52:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:57:40 -0500, "Paul Johnson"
<pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/3/07, George Avrunin <avrunin at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> > As I mentioned in an earlier message, I'm running Fedora 7 (x86_64) on a
> > Lenovo X60 with an Intel 3945 wireless card.
> >
> > I started with the iwl3945 module that the installation set up, running
> > NetworkManager. The wireless network seems to work fine (with WPA2-PSK), at
> > least in the one location I've tried so far, but suspend (and hibernation)
> > don't.  I found various suggestions on the web (including the quirks, which
> > don't seem to be necessary for this machine) and it seems clear that the
> > iwl3945 module must be removed before suspending.  But that seems to be
> > impossible with NetworkManager running.  I've tried various ways of
> > removing the module (manually, in the SUSPEND_MODULES line
> > of /usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults, etc.), and it doesn't seem to get removed,
> > causing the suspend to hang.
> >

> I don't know for sure if you are right in thinking that the network is
> the only trouble here.
>
> I have a Dell D820 with the same wireless device.  I've run the FC7
> kernel as well as the David Jones update testing version
> kernel-2.6.21-1.3232.fc7 from here:
> http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/fc7/RPMS.kernel/i386/

My system now suspends and resumes just fine.  There are still some
problems with the e1000 module (this seems to have been the source of
the problems I was having removing the iwl3945 module--see bugzilla
241783) and I need to restart NetworkManager when I resume, but
suspend/resume is ok.

  George