FC7: Pup / software upgrade failed this Sunday, now Pup, Yum, Rpm, X & others wont run at all

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jul 16 14:59:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 09:27:30AM -0500, ron flory wrote:

>  Did anybody else see this.  I just allowed the sw updater to run,

> The system (a recent Acer x86 laptop) can reboot, but
> some key system libs have been left in an unstable state and a lot
> of lib-related warnings are issued to the console during
> startup/shutdown.

The most likely you bumped into a problem of a kernel which says
that is of one version and 'uname -r' shows a different one.  Hence
various modules are not found in an initial sequence and assorted
pieces of userspace do not start.

That was mentioned already on this list, and there exist a
correponding bugzilla report, and a temporary workaround was posted
a few days ago.  You can also boot some older kernel instead which
does not suffer from the issue.

   Michal